Wow! I can’t believe May has come and gone. With birthday parties, visiting family, learning how to work Journeyer’s Chronicles and putting some real focus on my goals, the month has just whizzed by. Here’s my first goals progress report. It feels a bit like parent-teacher interviews. I’ve been good. Honest.
Post to my blog every day (that we’re home)
I’ve done pretty well with this one. Since I set the goal I’ve only missed one day. A couple have been a little late in the day, but I’m sure they still count as done
I’m doing OK here to. I’ve been down to between $150 – $160 for the last three weeks and I feel that it is sustainable. No-one’s grumbling about the food, or lack thereof so I think success is in the air. If I continue to reach this goal over the next two months, I’ll consider reducing it a little further.
Our credit card debt is down from $4000 to $3098. We have paid the budgeted amount into the credit card each month and haven’t used it for purchases.
Stick to our budget
The Thinker is paid on tne 15th of each month so we budget 15th – 14th of the next month. So far this month we’re on track. If you’d like to see how we went last month, take a look at .
I have my two pots of peas and spring onions that the kids and I have been doting over. I was so excited on the weekend because the peas have flowers 8-O. I’m not sure how long they take to get peas, but we’re getting there. The spring onions are also doing well. I think I should be able to start using them in two or three weeks.
We’re so impressed with our little vegie garden that The Thinker’s project for June is to make an actual plot. We could just dig up part of the backyard, but we think the kids and dog would probably run all over it destroying our precious plants. Instead he’s going to build a border so we can raise the garden up a little. When it’s all done I’ll post a photo of his handiwork.
Make some of our clothes
I’ve made for Cinderella and have The Little Mermaid’s all cut out and ready to go. Hopefully I’ll get to it tonight. Cinderella has had hers on since the moment it was finished. She’s a bit disappointed that it’s dirty now and she won’t be able to wear it for a day or two. I must take advantage of this enthusiasm for my handiwork before she gets to the stage that she wouldn’t touch anything that I make her with a ten foot pole
I’ve been very good at remembering my reusable bags for the groceries. However, I’m not so good at remembering them for any other shopping. So I don’t get stuck without a bag, I’m going to have a search for a pattern to make a couple that I can fold up to nothing and stick in my handbag.
Walk instead of drive where possible
This is another one I’m doing OK at. Most days I walk or ride to/from school and kinder with the kids, which has been no easy feat in the chilly mornings we’ve been having. I’m tending not to think about walking to appointments and the like, so I’m going to focus more on that.
Now it’s time to look forward to June. What do I hope to achieve for the month?
- Write a series of posts that I can schedule for days when I’m away.
- Grow the Journeyer’s Chronicles community. I’m finding I’ve become addicted to blogging. It fits in so many ways – from the technical side, to the research, to the connecting with people and as a record of our life. I have some fun things in mind, but need to do a bit more research. Stay tuned
- Learn how to tweak my blog code.
- Finish reading Screamfree Parenting. At about half way through I’m finding there’s some good information. I’m looking forward to the part where they tell you what to do when scream free isn’t working. I’m hoping to have a review ready towards the end of June.
- Help The Engineer with the .
- Make a real effort for a Family Fun Day each weekend.
- Monitor our grocery spending.
- Continue to pay down the credit card.
- Stick to our budget with a view to perhaps reducing spending in some categories.
- Walk to appointments in town.
- Ride the exercise bike for 15 minutes three times a week.
- Continue with .
- Keep our potted vegie garden thriving.
- Help The Thinker with our new vegie plot.
- Finish making The Little Mermaid’s skirt
- Make shopping bags to go in my handbag.
Whew! That seems to be quite a list. In reality, it’s babysteps in each area and with a bit of focus I should be able to continue my success from May.
How did you go with your May goals? Have you set some goals for June?