Each weekend we try and spend as much time together as a family as we can. Sometimes it’s as simple as Friday night fish & chips on the family room floor. Other times, we pack up the caravan and head off for a few days together. This weekend, as The Engineer had been doing such a great job of doing his , I let him pick what we would do. It didn’t take much thought for him to decide on Scienceworks.
Scienceworks is part of the Museum of Victoria. It’s totally interactive with every display having buttons to press, wheels to turn or scopes to look through. The kids have an absolute ball every time we go there. We usually spend around 4 hours there, sometimes more if we go to the special exhibitions (some have extra charges). If you’re in the Melbourne area I highly recommend a visit. An added bonus is it’s only $6/adult entry fee and the kids are free. A word of warning though – take your own lunch and snacks as it’s very expensive to buy food there (as usual in these sort of places).
So in keeping with our family fun day, here are some family fun links:
- Bugs – Let’s begin with a Museum of Victoria site. The Engineer particularly likes this one.
- Science Playground – More fun science stuff. What kid doesn’t love slime? And to be honest, I love playing with it too
- Bembo’s Zoo – This is very clever. I could watch it over and over.
- Delicious Baby has some great ideas for toys to occupy kids if you’re travelling.
- Mom’s Minivan is filled to the rafters with travel games.
- Budget 101 provides a great introduction to geocaching. We haven’t tried it yet, but I’m very keen to give it a go.
- Letterboxing is similar to geocaching, but from my understanding is less high tech and a bit more artistic. Check it out at Atlas Quest.
- Simply Thrifty has 26 free weekend family fun activities.
- My First Garden is a great instructional site for kids who are interested in gardening (or parent’s who’d like to get their kids interested).
- Zen Habits has the list to end all lists – 100 Ways to Have Fun with Your Kids for Free or Cheap